The opportunity to celebrate Canada’s creative talent behind-the-scenes is few and far between; however, the P&G Beauty & Grooming Awards does just that by giving writers, stylists, photographers and more, an occasion to highlight their hard work and contributions to the country’s beauty, grooming and fashion industries. These are the people whose names you’ll often find in small type font within the masthead of magazine, but whose creative power wields some of the most beautiful imagery and thought-provoking content on style and beauty.
After following the event on Twitter for the past two years I attend the P&G Beauty Awards on November 19th; though I have to admit I didn’t go without an ulterior motive, blogger besties Sharon (The Backseat Stylers) and Nelia (Style Blog) were up for the Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (English) category and there was no way I was going to miss supporting my ladies on this very important night. Also nominated in this category was the charming Lolitta Dandoy (Fashion is Everywhere).
The host of the event was TV and film actor Rob Lowe who only had to bat an eye lash to have the audience’s camera phones flashing like a paparazzi mob and the ladies swooning in their seats, he easily put a smile on everyone’s faces.
While presenting the category for one of the awards Canadian supermodel Stacey McKenzie planted her luscious lips on the Hollywood star leaving a very large red lipstick mark on his cheek; it was so noticeable that I could see it from the very back row where I was sitting! Needless to say there were lots of laughs and Lowe had a good sense of humour.
As I sat through the event, saw and heard about the works of all the nominees all I could think about was that the judges had their work cut out for them, because all of the candidates represented the best in their field. I really wanted both Sharon and Nelia to tie for the blogger award and if that did, or did not happen, I said to them that “I’ll be more than happy to take my father’s circular saw and cut the crystal trophy in two for the both of you to share!”
In the end Sharon won for the Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (English) category. Congrats!
Check out the list of winners and award pics below. Enjoy!
WINNERS OF THE 2012 P&G BEAUTY & GROOMING AWARDS
- Best Art Direction – Tanya Watt, FLARE
- Best New Face – Jenna Earle, Next Models
- Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Trend/Profile (English) Adriana Ermter; FLARE, Back by Popular Demand
- Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Trend/Profile (French) Sophie St-Laurent; Châtelaine, BB La crème a tout faire
- Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Scientific/Technical (English) Michelle Villett; FLARE, Best Beauty Innovations of 2011
- Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Scientific/Technical (French) Micheline Lortie; Châtelaine, La nature en pot
- Best Beauty Editor of a Magazine – Lesa Hannah; FASHION Magazine
- Best Male Grooming Feature – Greg Hudson; Sharp Magazine, The Sharp Guide to Grooming: Stepping it Up
- Hair Stylist of the Year – Justin German
- Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (English) - Sarah Nicole Prickett; FASHION Magazine, Bro Code
- Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (French) – Elsa Vecchi; Dress to Kill, Spécial Design: Rad Hourani
- Best Fashion Editor of a Magazine – George Antonopoulos, FASHION Magazine
- Best Male Fashion Feature – Yang Goh; Sharp Magazine, Style Manual
- Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (English) – Sharon Ng Hayes; The Backseat Stylers
- Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (French) – Anik Lacasse-Richard; Montreal in Style
- Best Beauty or Fashion Website – Randi Bergman, FashionMagazine.com
- Photographer of the Year – Malina Corpadean
- Make-up Artist of the Year – Nicolas Blanchet
- Best Magazine Cover – Dress to Kill, Stéphane Le Duc, Winter 2011
Images #1, 2, 3 and photo gallery credit: George Pimentel